STATE REQUIREMENTS AND DUI RESOURCES
DUI/Ignition Interlock Device Laws
California ignition interlock device laws vary depending on the location of the offense, the severity of the offense, and the conviction history of the driver.
- In Los Angeles, Alameda, Sacramento, and Tulare Counties, all drivers who are convicted of DUI are required to install ignition interlock devices on vehicles they own or operate.
- In other counties, interlock devices may be required at the discretion of the court.
If a driver fails or refuses to take a field breathalyzer test upon being stopped for suspicion of DUI, the driver’s license will be automatically suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles for a period of six months to six years, depending on the driver’s age, BAC, and conviction history.
For a driver under 21, the suspension will last until the driver’s twenty-first birthday under DUI laws.
In most cases, convicted drivers will be subject to a period of license suspension after which they may apply for a restricted license which allows them to drive under the control of an ignition interlock device. The length of both the suspension and restriction periods depends on the conviction history of the driver.
First-time offenders face a six-month suspension and a five-month restriction period.
Four-time offenders are subject to a four-year suspension and may apply for a restricted license after 18 months.
Some DUI offenses, especially those involving an accident or injury to another person, may be charged as a felony rather than a misdemeanor. In these cases, suspension and restriction penalties are more severe.
Repeat offenses also trigger harsher penalties, and drivers convicted of a felony DUI involving injury or death will have prior misdemeanor convictions considered by the court in the imposition of sentence length and severity.
DUI Penalties and Fees in California
|1st Offense||Fine: Up to $1,000
Jail Time: 48 hours to 6 months
Period of License Suspension: 30 days to 10 months
|2nd Offense||Fine: Up to $1,800
Jail Time: 10 days to 1 year
Period of License Suspension: 2 years
|3rd Offense||Fine: Up to $18,000
Jail Time: 120 days to 1 year
Period of License Suspension: 3 years
|4th Offenses||Fine: Up to $18,000
Jail Time: 180 days to 16 months
Period of License Suspension: 4 years
Get Your License Back
- Enroll in an alcohol treatment program and have the program provider submit proof of Enrollment Certificate (DL 107) to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
- Submit California Insurance Proof Certificate (SR22) from your auto insurance provider to the DMV, this establishes proof of financial responsibility.
- Pay all applicable fees.
- Call 1-833-384-7233 to schedule an ignition interlock installation appointment.
- We will contact the DMV Mandatory Action Unit (MUA) to see if you are approved to install your ignition interlock device.
- Get the ignition interlock device installed, we will provide proof of installation.
- And… you’re back on the road! Drive confidently knowing your Draeger Interlock is backed by an extensive network of service centers and 24/7 customer support, we are here to help you every step of the way.
- Don’t forget… we must calibrate and inspect the ignition interlock device regularly to stay compliant with local regulations and ensure your device continues to work properly.
When your restriction period is over, simply contact us to schedule your final service appointment.
For more information about the Ignition Interlock Device (IID) Pilot Program visit the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles website.
SB 1046, Hill. Driving under the influence: Ignition interlock device.
Welcome to Norcal Interlock
Thank you for visiting NorCal Interlock. We appreciate your business.
NorCal Interlock is located in Roseville, Ca and services customers in the greater Sacramento area (Sacramento and Placer Counties). We specialize in DUI ignition interlock device installation on your vehicle, when required by the State of California and the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Call now, or submit your information to get connected to our shop. One of our managers will assist in answering all your questions and can get your install date scheduled.
We look forward to working with you.
Sign Up Today
Get Back on The Road to Freedom